Monday we went by the house to check out the newly installed granite. We were so excited until we walked in and saw what was in the kitchen... I immediately said "this is not the right granite, it looks terrible!" I know granite can vary in cut, but really, this looked like a completely different granite.
We originally selected "Santa Cecilia" granite. It's a warm cream color with dark black and brown accents. What showed up in our house was a cool grey with purple and black.
Picture of what we thought we were getting:
and what appeared in the house- Awful! It just doesn't work with cream cabinets.
After slightly freaking out and about 20 emails with the builder and designer we find out that the original Santa Cecilia is limited and most granite vendors don't have access to it right now. So they decided to put this "light" variety in our house... Not acceptable!
So, we went this morning to select new granite. It will be fine, but I had my heart set on the Santa Cecilia. Not to mention this will now delay our closing. Lucky for us (and the builder) our apartment had not been leased yet, so we were able to extend our lease into November. We are also hoping the builder can get to closing before our interest rate lock expires. We will see...Hopefully we will have a new confirmed closing date in a week or two.
This is what we ended up selecting for the kitchen and butler's pantry. It's called Giallo Ornamental.
The granite company sent this pic of the actual piece they will cut. I think it's slightly darker than the sample, but still very similar.
It's hard to picture, but I think it will turn out nice.
We are pretty happy with how the other rooms turned out! We are even going to leave the different variety of Santa Cecilia in our Master Bathroom. It doesn't look bad against the dark cabinets (it appears a little warmer than it shows up in this pic).
Master Bath
Guest Bath
Jack and Jill Bath (LOVE how this turned out. I think it will be so pretty with the crystal knobs)!
Powder Room Downstairs
Butler's Pantry (this will be switched out to match the kitchen)
And the laundry room. This isn't granite, it's actually called Corian. This still needs to be cut for the laundry sink.
All of our appliances are sitting in the house ready to be installed. Unfortunately, the bad granite will have to be taken out, and new granite installed before the cooktop can be installed and probably the dishwasher too. The double ovens were actually out of the box and they are beautiful! I can't wait to use those puppies. Pics to come once they are installed.
So it wasn't quite the week we had expected. I also came down with a terrible cold/flu on Monday, so that's been fun during all this headache. Poor Chris has been sleeping on the couch because he is so scared of catching it :( Hoping to feel better before the weekend!



No comments:
Post a Comment